Project #3 statement

My approach to project for was focused on utilising the still & moving image with gritty sound to boot. Because a particular interest of mine is stop frame animation I was interested in finding another way to work with both film & photography. I feel confident that I have been successful in merging the two in a unique way and am very happy with the results. I have used both films & my own footage in this project while recording and modifying the sound myself.

I wanted to create discomfort in a small space. I love the idea of projections onto walls, of rooms being divided in a multitude of ways and just as many projections scattered and collaged. The moving image appearing and disappearing in an unpredictable way in many places, the viewer not being able to understand the work completely unless they are willing to commit so they can fully take in all the visuals and sounds.

ta daa

So I lost my work twice thanks to a bugging pc & the macs at school. Saving doesn’t seem to matter sometimes, but that goes with the territory & I am just glad that it is done & I am happy with the results. Just need to export, so there probably still are a few problems to come.  

            

messing around with the image in ps

So I am planning on  using this image in the last post. I am interested in merging the still & moving image. I want to have moving fragments of video running through the loop behind the still image.

I’m going to use this image I found on flickr, I downloaded it. I have some ideas for how I will use it. I’ll sketch up a storyboard. I’m going to use this image I found on flickr, I downloaded it. I have some ideas for how I will use it. I’ll sketch up a storyboard.

I’m going to use this image I found on flickr, I downloaded it. I have some ideas for how I will use it. I’ll sketch up a storyboard.

I want to produce a video that combine’s both the moving & still image. I want to find an image I can move around or something & video behind. 

I have completed Modern Ubu!

                                         Phew!

I made Ubu from plasticine & I designed one as seen in the sketch & then a second far from my original storyboard sketch.  I came to the decision that the second better embodied how I saw the modern Ubu & also more appropriate for the style I envisioned. 

Above is a really bad example of the storyboard Ubu I made. SORRY! It is the only one I could find, I have no idea where my others went. It had to be this copy which is a double exposure, so its super unclear. You get the idea though…. 

Above is the second Ubu I made. He is armless, this is to represent the illogical reasoning man can have towards words or in actions. These people have nothing to hold on to. I took this image a little low because he doesn’t look as angry. 

Above is my set. I created it on two levels to give the effect of everything floating. I used very diffused low key lighting which gave me the jet black background & hid the difference in height between the two landings. I am surprised at how well it did work out. A little curve on the images and the line disappeared. I decided to shoot purposely greatly-underexposed so that when editing I would have a closer to natural grittiness. The black & white treatment helped with the effect & also allowed me to push the contrast as far as I wanted.

Plasticine Letters

So I have a pretty good idea of what I will be aiming for in project #2 yet I have not drawn up my storyboard … but I will ASAP. I have made all the sentences extracted from my automatic writing out of plasticine, it took agesss! I have ended up with over 150 letters. I will explain my use of them in more detail once I have doodled the storyboard sketches